środa, 20 listopada 2013

3. Arthur Benjamin: "The magic of Fibonacci numbers"

http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_the_magic_of_fibonacci_numbers.html

1) A STANDPOINT (n)
1. a set of beliefs and ideas from which opinions and decisions are formes
2. a point of view
From my standpoint , 3.00 p.m. would be a suitable time.
I have to put aside my emotions and consider it from a professional standpoint.

2) CONSECUTIVE (adj)
1. describes events, numbers, etc. that follow one after another without an interruption:
This is the fifth consecutive weekend that I've spent working, and I'm a bit fed up with it.
2. successive: consecutive numbers such as 5, 6, 7, 8.

3) TO SQUARE (v)
1. SQUARE OFF (phrasal verb): to prepare to fight , compete or argue with someone:
The two giants in the fast-food industry are squaring off this month with the most aggressive advertising campaigns.
2. to agree or conform: A story that does not square to with the facts.

4) A RATIO (n)
1. the relationship between two groups or amounts, which expresses how much bigger one is than the other:
The ratio of men to women at the conference was ten to one.
The school is trying to improve its pupil-teacher ratio (=the number of teachers compared with the number of students).

5) TO FIGURE (v)
1. to conclude, believe: I never figured that this would happen.
2. FIGURE OUT (phrasal verb) - to finally understand sth or sb, or find the solution to a problem after a lot of thought: I find him really odd - I can't figure him out at all. 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz